So, everyone who reads my blog already knows, but I'm officially going to Ireland! I've only known for a few weeks and I've already got 10 people I need to cram into 2 suitcases and a list of souvenirs that I have to bring back. Oh, and I have to come up with a couple thousand dollars and buy a million sweaters and good waterproof hiking boots, but it's all worth it!
For those who haven't already heard 10 million times, here's what I get to do while over seas:I will be staying with 21 other students and 2 professors in thatch roof cottages. There will be approximately 4 other girls in the cottage with me. We get beds, a fridge and freezer, a stove, a microwave, a washer (but of course no dryer, though there are clotheslines in the rooms), a fireplace, and an oven/stove.
There are two pubs in the tiny town of Tully Cross, a grocery store, and I think a shop or two, I'm having trouble remembering. Everything else is about three miles away. If we walk west there's a beautiful beach about a mile and a half away (though it's closer if we decide to go down the cliff) and there are also mountains down there too! This is also an area where films have been filmed, including Tristan and Isolde. Oh and there's lots of sheep! Sheep are always fun! And down the street a ways there's a wood working college with lots of boys, which could be interesting considering 18 of the Aquinas people are girls...
As far as what we'll be studying - we take Irish history, Irish literature, and Irish culture. And apparently the culture class is mostly us just traveling around Ireland. We can also be a teacher's aide in a nearby school and get to know a lot of kids and their families that way! I'm hoping to do this; I just have to make sure to turn in my application.
Walking also happens to be the primary way of getting around, so I'm hoping to get in shape while over there. Plus it seems that all holiday traditions involve climbing to the top of some mountain. There are also a lot of great sites to walk to, and I'm really hoping to get some great pictures. Oh, that reminds me, if anybody would like to contribute to the "Getting Hannah a really good but small digital camera" fund, feel more than welcome! Or even the "Just getting Hannah over there" fund is a great one too. Oh, and back to getting in shape, I'm probably going to not be eating a ton because that money is better spent on souvenirs and travel.
To get a better idea of what the scenery is like, here's a website to look at:
http://www.goconnemara.com/connemara_tully_cross.htm
And the loop that all of those places are on is about 10 miles long, so I could go to any one of those places listed on the side! Not that I'll be walking 10 miles very often, but still.
I'm sure there's many things I'm leaving out, but at least that gives a little overview, and the website really helps to show the surrounding area. I just hope that then next 3 months go by fast!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous I can hardly stand myself.
I am very super dooper totally excited for you. I always wanted to do something like this but never had the courage. I hope you love every minute of it. Not to sound like a downer, but it doesn't look like there is a ton to do around there so I hope you find things to keep you busy and out of trouble. You might see about learning to ride that white horse or donkey or whatever it is that is in all the pictures at the Tully Cross website.
I tagged you for a blog game. Check out the rules at: http://juliesnonsense.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment